My rating: 6
IMDB rating: 6.6
Of course, I have to start with my mother’s favourite film. She watched this when she was happy, sad, yearning, overjoyed, bored and tired. She loved Peter’s bustling family, Sandra Bullock’s innocence, the obvious humour and of course the happy ending.
While you were sleeping is one of those typical RomComs that have all the ‘classic’ elements. Boy meets girl (in this case under some weird circumstances), they fall in love, they face a burden, they are separated and eventually get back together again and ride of into the sunset.
What makes this movie unique though:
- The circumstances under which she meets the ‘right’ brother
- Her very unique love of travel
- Peter’s huge overcrowded family
- Peter’s godfather in particular
- The clever incorporation of religion
- A very unique style of humour
I’ve grown up with this film and re-watching it, was such a treat! I love While you were sleeping and Miss Congeniality, because they are still those early, very original RomComs, but also because it shows the young, quirky Sandra Bullock that we fell in love with.